Friday, June 1, 2012

26-28 May Quad Cities Weekend


Snake Alley Women's Podium: Jeannie Kuhajek (Psimet),
Kaitlin Antonneau (Exergy TWENTY 12), Emma Bast (Speedfix)

The Psimet women tackled a huge challenge this past weekend: five races in three days at the Quad Cities Criterium weekend. The goal for the weekend was to push our limits, both physically and mentally, and to grow as a team. And we did just that and more.

Snake Alley

The weekend started on Saturday with the infamous Snake Alley. Snake Alley, located in Burlington, Iowa, is once recognized as “the crookedest street in the world.” The road was constructed in 1894 to link the downtown business district and the neighborhood shopping area of the region. Bricks were laid at an angle to allow horses better footing as they descended. The street was completed in 1898 and was later named for its resemblance to a snake winding its way down the hill. Snake Alley is a one-way street, with all traffic heading downhill—except for one day each year when cyclists tackle the uphill climb.
Snake Alley: the view from the top
Snake Alley is 84 m long (about a block) and has 5 switchbacks in an 18 m climb with an average gradient of 21 percent. Being the hill lovers that they are (NOT), our sprinters Leah and Katie, joined by Marne still in her first few weeks of racing on the road, tackled the Women’s 2/3 race, six laps of the fifteen block course, while Kelli, Kim and Jeannie took on the Pro/1/2/3 twelve lapper. The weather was reasonable in the morning for the 2/3 race, but by afternoon, temps for the Pro/1/2/3 race were ridiculously hot, heading towards triple digits (35-38 °C).

Last year, Snake Alley was my first race in the US. Sleep-deprived and jet-lagged, my performance was a bit subpar. This year, allowing a bit more time to recover from travel paid off. I got off to a good start off the line and led the field the first time up the climb.  The front of the field quickly whittled to five by the second climb and by about the fourth lap we were down to two, me and US National Masters Crit champion Debbie Milne (Absolute Racing). To add another level of challenge to the race, I completely underestimated the temperatures, and not even halfway through the race, I was out of water and suffering miserably in the heat.

I think Debbie was suffering too—which pretty reasonable because she attacked every single time up the hill!—because the next lap, along the flat part of the course, I had my head down following Debbie’s wheel, trying to will my body temperature back down, we took a wrong turn off the course. I know. How do you take a wrong turn on a criterium course? Well, we did. Debbie was following the route of a couple of riders on the course in front of us. Turns out those riders were warming up and weren’t supposed to be on the course. They turned off onto a side road when they saw us coming. And we followed. Fortunately I realised immediately and turned around quickly. But the detour was enough to allow two riders to sneak in front and take the lead. Debbie took longer to turn around and she spent to rest of the race chasing, finishing 5th. I put in a big effort and caught the two new leaders before the next climb. One lap later we were back down to two and had a new riding companion, super talented young pro rider Kaitlin Antonneau (Exergy TWENTY 12).
Kelli entering the bottom of the snake.
My body temperature was now through the roof. One lap to go, last climb up the hill, I tried to push it to drop Kaitlin but the heat prevailed at thwarting my effort. I back off at the top and let Kaitlin lead down the hill and along the flat. Coming into the last corner for the sprint, I was feeling confident about the win, but when Kaitlin jumped out of the corner to start the sprint, my overheated motor was slow to respond and she got a good gap on me. I made up ground in the finishing straight, but the deficit was too big. But second I will take on a course like that! Teammate Kelli enjoyed her first experience with the snake, finishing 14th and I suspect ready to come back next year for a top 10 result. Kim wasn’t feeling well and got off to a slow start. Her passion for the course prevailed and despite little cooperation from her body, she hung in there to finish an admirable 18th. The podium was Antonneau (1st), me (2nd) and Emma Bast (Speedfix, 3rd).

Melon City

Sunday morning the team headed an hour north to Muscatine Iowa for the Melon City Criterium. The course was a one-mile circuit with a fast decent complete with speed bump (judder bar) at the bottom, sharp uphill gradient, and two 90-degree turns at the top. The course circumnavigated a lovely park with statues of wild animals—elephants, deer, moose bison—variously dotted throughout terrain.

Both Sunday and Monday the whole team tackled two races each day, with the Women’s 2/3 race in the morning and the Pro/1/2/3 in the afternoon. Temps were pleasant for the morning race on Sunday but headed skyward once gain by afternoon. We used the races on Sunday to each work on individual challenges and to work out tiredness in our legs from the snake. The morning’s race was fast and exciting, with lots of aggressive riding from the field. In the last few laps, Marne helped me chase down a dangerous break and it was all together heading into the final climb. I attacked hard to push the pace up the hill, but my effort was a wee bit early as I started fading near the top. Around the final corner, 50 m to go, a felt Emilie Flanigan (Midwest Cycling Community) at my hip, bearing down and oozing determination for the win. After a difficult few months, I too was determined and pushed hard to keep the lead. She veered in close as we stood to sprint, shoulder to shoulder. Unfortunately for me the contact knocked me off balance. To avoid crashing, I quickly sat down to steady myself. Having  lost my acceleration, I was lucky to take 3rd while Emilie and Mia Loquai sprinted past for the top two spots. Teammate Kim was not far behind in 9th.

We lined up again a few hours later, each of us determined to further push our limits. Perhaps because of the heat (again nearing 100), the afternoon’s race was less exciting than the morning’s.  With one of her signature blazing attacks, Debbie Milne (Absolute Racing) escaped and soloed to the win, nearly catching the field.  Kelli and Kim both showed some guts off the front, Kelli putting in an attack and Kim bridging to a break. Heading into the start/finish with two laps to go, Debbie, still solo off the front, was threatening to catch the back of the bunch. Rather than allow the catch, the announcer eliminated a lap from the race and we were given the bell for one lap to go. Caught off-guard, I quickly moved into better position, but ended up boxed in on the final climb. Things opened up near the top and I was picking up spots around the final turn. Then, Emma Bast (Speedfix) slid out directly in front of me. I grabbed my brakes to avoid going over top of her. Meanwhile, several riders sped past over the finish line. Fortunately I stayed upright, redirected my bike and salvaged 9th over the line. Kim had a stellar race, pushing several personal boundaries, and finished right behind in 11th.

Quad Cities
Leah taking over on the front in the Quad Cities W2/3.
Me getting cleaned up after crashing.
Back across to the Illinois side of the Mississippi River, Monday we headed to Rock Island Illinois for the Quad Cities Criterium, one of the longest running cycle races in the country. The flat, fast, three-quarter mile hourglass-shaped course just one block from the Mississippi River features ten corners with brick crosswalks throughout. We awoke to cooler temperatures—which was a relief—but the source of the cool down was rain—not a relief. With the combination of slippery pavement and slick bricks, the morning’s race turned into a crash feast, claiming half team.
In impressive fashion, Psimet was in control off the line with Leah and I putting in turns at the front to drive the pace and keep things safe. A crash early on took out Kim, and then, in the final lap, Leah and I went down. Marne, Kelli and Katie did an awesome job to stay upright, with Marne finishing 9th, Leah 13th and me 14th. The casualty of the day was Leah’s bike. Her crash took her over top of another rider. While she escaped more than a few scrapes and bruises, she totaled the right shifter lever on her bike and was out for the rest of the day.

Psimet one the start line for the Quad Cities Pro1/2/3: Kim, Jeannie, leah

View of the race with the Mississippi River in the background.
The afternoon brought sunshine and as the pavement dried blazing hot temperatures returned. The team started the afternoon, one down with Leah on the sidelines, slightly unnerved from the morning. Nevertheless, we turned it into our best team showing of the weekend. We lost Kim early on, dropping off the pace as she struggled with a sore shoulder from the morning’s contact with the road. Over the first three-quarters of the race, Marne, Kelli and I each put in big efforts off the front in promising breaks or patrolling the front to keep anyone from chasing down our teammate up the road. With seven laps to go, Marne punctured and was unable to regain the peloton. Kelli’s break was caught and former teammate Jessi Prinner (ABD) and Debbie Milne (Absolute Racing) escaped to take first and second. The bunch seemed fairly exhausted from the active race (I know I was!) and Kiwi Hayley Giddens (ISCorp) slipped off the front. Kelli went to the front and hammered it to try to bring her back to give me a chance at third, but the race, and in fact the weekend, had taken its toll and Kelli and I both faded towards the end, finishing 19th and 10th, respectively. Not the result we wanted, but teamwork-wise, a stellar race and a definitely high point on which to end the weekend!
Kelli solo off the front in the Quad Cities Pro1/2/3.

Next up, the Lake Bluff Twilight Criterium on Friday night and the Glencoe Grand Prix on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment