Tuesday, May 13, 2014

April – May 2014 Chasing My Shadow





Despite careful preparations and excellent form coming into my US season, an extra large helping of life effectively knocked my fitness back to ground zero. So, over the past two months I’ve been busy tackling the challenges of lingering illness and poor health, leaving me without many exciting things to report on. However… I’m making some progress now, so let’s get back up to speed together!
In quest of some life balance.

My last report left off about two months ago with the Vuelta a El Salvador way back at the start of March. For second half of March I stationed myself in Mountain View CA to focus on recovery. The first week I struggled with a hamstring injury sustained while in El Salvador, along with the onset of intense joint pain that made movement challenging—and agonizing. A few weeks later I added a shoulder strain to the list.
Visiting the giants at Big Basin Redwoods State Park.

Through investigation I learned that these were side effects from the antibiotics I was prescribed for the lung infection I contracted in March. Muscle injuries and joint pain from an antibiotic? I know! Not what you’d expect. I was prescribed a fluoroquinolone (best know example is Cipro), a group of antibiotics that have become notorious for causing crazy side effects like spontaneous tendon ruptures and nerve damage. Based on documented cases, I’m lucky to have come away with relatively mild effects!
Plenty of late snow remaining in March at Big Bear, setting for Stage 2 of Redlands Bicycle Classic.

With the arrival of April, I headed south to Redlands CA near Los Angeles to join five Vanderkitten teammates for the Redlands Bicycle Calssic, the first major US stage race of the season. It was quickly clear that my body was not up to the task of such a demanding tour and I took to the sidelines to cheer on my teammates.
Unable to race, I took up a new activity - Vanderizing.

After Redlands the team and I headed north to the charming town of Carmel-by –the-Sea on the Monterey Peninsula. We enjoyed a wonderful week of beautiful weather and scenic riding along the Pacific Coastline on 17-Mile Drive (a highlight of my season so far) before tackling three days of racing at the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey. Again, my body gave the clear message that racing was not yet on the table for me, with sharp, burning lung pain bringing activity to a rapid halt.

The Sea Otter team at Carmel: Amy, Kate, me, Miranda, and Korina. (Missing: Fiona)

With Easter near and many responsibilities calling in the Midwest, I then headed east to my hometown of Crystal Lake, near Chicago, to be with family. The icy chill of winter still strong in the spring Chicago air brought added challenge to my journey back to health. Recovery is slow and I’m still feeling not quite right (all jokes aside!) and good racing form remains a long way away.
My new PSIMET wheels blooming with the tulips.

As winter releases its grip on the Midwest, the tulips are on full display, trees are budding like crazy, and summer seems to have arrived almost overnight. Inspired by the warming weather I’ve tackled some local racing to test my fitness. My lungs still burn a bit on exertion and I don’t feel great on or off the bike, but improvements are evident. 
Me biting the handlebars at Urbana GP. Photo by Eric Ponder https://flic.kr/p/nddu1o

Last weekend I suffered through the Urbana Grand Prix with a huge effort to take a very hard earned 4th. Then, this past weekend I opened up my US bank account with a win at Monsters of Midway on the Midway Plaisance—almost like Chicago’s version of the Champs-Élysées! Ok maybe not… Still, I’m making progress. I’m pretty excited to be a Monster of Midway none-the-less.
Winning the sprint from a small break at Monsters of Midway. Photo by Snowy Mountain Photography

A huge thank you to my team manager Jono Coulter and my Vanderkitten teammates for their patience with my health. Also to Jim Smith and Carrie & Sam Keating for their wonderful generosity in sharing their beautiful Carmel accommodation with the team. Gerald Sylvester (Mt View) and Bill & Sandy Green (Redlands) kindly opened up their homes and were wonderful hosts, and James Mattis was kind enough to give me a lift from Mt View to Redlands. I think I’m grateful to Michael Zellman for the ride to Urbana but I’m not sure—that race really hurt! A bonus of my California stay was catching up with long lost classmates Mark Rodgers (high school) and Paulette Greenfield (college). Thanks to both of you for taking time to visit!   
Amazing photo of racing along Midway Plaisance by Snowy Mountain Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment