Tuesday, August 16, 2011

30 Jul Grayslake Cycling Classic

Now in its sixth year, the 2007 Grayslake Cycling Classic was the very first criterium I ever raced—and the first I ever won! Being a new rider, I rode the entry level race. The following year, I repeated the victory in the entry level race, this time as a masters rider, and later in the day tried my luck against the ‘big girls,’ placing third in the Women’s Open race. The winner? None other than now ABD teammate Kristen Meshburg. I missed the race in 2009 (won once again by Kristen in dominant fashion), but returned in 2010 to win the Women’s Open in a sprint out with now teammate Stacy Appelwick, with the duel initiating an awesome friendship with Stacy.

Elena, Stacy, and Jeannie
This year, a change of plans left the ABD team calendar without a race on for the weekend. With Grayslake being a bit of a special race for me as my first crit, and so close at only 25 miles from my parents’ house, it didn’t take long for me to decide to race. Hoping to get in some good training in preparation for a couple of hardcore races scheduled in the next few weeks, I decided to ride the hour and a half to the race. Good thing I did because with major construction along the way and the County Fair on, I think riding got me there faster than driving!

Not expecting to see any of my teammates, I was excited to almost run into Stacy who was driving in just as I arrived at the course. Only moments later Elena arrived as well. And ABD was three! The race got off to a good start with Amelia Moore (xXx Racing) setting a fast pace on the front. On lap two, the MC announced the first prime of the day. I decided to string out the field through the more technical back side of the course and ramped up the speed heading into turn two of the nine-turn course. I exited the turns with a good gap on the field, with Francine Haas (Alberto’s) jumping out of the peloton in pursuit. Francine’s chase obligated me to push a bit harder. Francine responded in turn by pushing a bit harder, so I too pushed a bit harder. As the start/finish line neared, Francine backed off and I went across with a good gap behind me to grab the prime.
Now came decision time. Being so early into the race on a hot day and after having already ridden nearly 2 hours (and still having 40 min of racing and a 1.5 h ride home in front of me), did I really want the massive effort of a solo ride? No. Definitely not. But with disorganization in the bunch behind as multiple riders put in solo attempts to bridge the gap, individual pursuit was the best bet. I did say I wanted to get in a good hard training ride… So head down I went, straight into time trial mode.
Grayslake podium: Beth, Jeannie, Stacy
Plans all came together when about midrace Stacy was able to escape from the group and bridge across the gap. I was relieved to get word from Wayne Simon who was cheering madly inside the course (Thanks Wayne!) that Stacy was in hot pursuit. I enjoyed the respite from the hard pace as I let up for a bit to wait for Stacy. Once she made contact, we were straight into time trial mode, working perfectly together. Stacy led me out for the win with her second for an exciting ABD 1-2. In the bunch sprint, ABD just missed a podium sweep by a hair, with Elena getting nipped on the line in an excellent finish by Beth Engwis (Project 5 Racing) to take an awesome fourth.
The most exciting part of the day, however, was Stacy’s nonchalant announcement, “Oh, by the way, I’m getting married tomorrow.” Congratulations Stacy and Chris! You two are wonderful individuals and truly wonderful together.

No comments:

Post a Comment