Thursday, May 30, 2013

25-27 May 2013 Quad Cities Weekend

Quad Cities Criterium podium: me, Madeleine Pape, Mia Loquai. Photo by Cathy Frampton

The Memorial Day weekend brought variable weather and mixed results at the Quad Cities races on the Illinois/Iowa border. Heavy rains and thundershowers dominated the weekend, adding to the already budging banks of local rivers and creating dangerous flooding in the area. Amazingly, my races were mostly dry, with all but a few drops here and there, and the weekend ended with an exciting podium finish, sunny skies, and ice cream with cool friends.

Heavy rains have meant flooding and closed road along the Mississippi River this spring.

Racing kicked off on Saturday afternoon with Snake Alley in Burlington, Iowa. For those unfamiliar with Snake Alley, the ‘snake’ is 84 m long (about a block) and has 5 switchbacks. Designed by German immigrants to resemble vineyard paths in France and Germany, the road was constructed in 1894 and took 4 years to complete. Bricks were laid at an angle to allow horses better footing as they descended. Because it was common for riders to lose control of horses at the top of the steep gradient, Snake Alley became and remains today a one-way street, with all traffic heading downhill—except for one day each year when cyclists take on the uphill climb.

Climbing Snake Alley. Photo by Leah Sanda

This was me third year tackling the snake. Two years ago, sleep-deprived and jet-lagged from just having arrived in the US, I suffered through the race for thirteeth. Last year, I just missed the win by a fraction in a sprint to the line. This year, I was hoping to come back for the win, but that was not to be. I started the day with a painful abdomen, my GI system remaining at a heightened sensitivity post-surgery. I got off to a poor start, diminishing chances for a good result with the first time up the snake being absolutely critical. I worked my way through the field over several laps, but over the twelve-lap race never caught the two leaders who disappeared from view on the first lap. I found myself in a group riding for third, but feeling uncomfortable and with my head not quite in the race, I settled for seventh.


Elephant hanging out in the Zoo Garden, Weed Park.

I thought perhaps I’d make up the result with a good finish on Sunday at the Melon City Criterium in Weed Park, Muscatine, Iowa. My abdominal pain had lessened off a bit, but a mechanical problem took me out of the race on the first lap. That’s racing. So I moved my focus to a good performance at Monday’s race, the Quad Cities Criterium in Rock Island, Illinois.

Presentation of the colors during the National Anthem. Photo by Louis Breme

Started in the 1960’s, Quad Cities is one of the longest running athletic events in the country. The course is nestled just one block from the Mississippi River and features a flat, fast, hourglass-shaped course with ten corners in three-quarters of a mile. The exciting course and excellent race management make this race a real attraction on the US race calendar.


Riding past the flags on Memorial Day. Photo by Louis Breme
 
The last two-years racing Quad Cities, I put all my efforts towards protecting breakaway efforts by teammates—winner Stacy Mosora (ABD) in 2011 and PSIMET teammate Kelli Richter and eventual winner Jessi Prinner (ABD) in 2012. This year, with no teammates present and my spirits in need of a positive boost, I concentrated on getting a top finish. I had a bit of external pressure as well since I was a featured for the race with an awesome write-up in the local paper on Sunday featuring an excellent photo from the Fox River Omnium taken by Bill Draper: http://qctimes.com/sports/kuhajek-bitten-by-cycling-bug/article_ef665224-b32c-5f0d-b572-f1802bc62bbf.html

Stringing out the field early in the race. Photo by Louis Breme


With seven strong riders from the Wisconsin-based ISCorp team completely dominating the race—and me not sprinting so hot—I knew a good result was going to be a challenge. I saw an opportunity for a breakaway following the last prime of the race with four laps left to go. I escaped with Aussie ISCorp rider Madeleine Pape, who, I just discovered online, represented Australia in the 2008 summer Olympic Games in the 800 m run. Pretty cool! We worked well together to stave off the field. I pulled pretty hard the last half-lap to keep us clear of her ISCorp teammates, now chasing in earnest. Madeleine came around me in the sprint to take the win with me finishing with nothing left in my legs just behind in second. Given the situation, I was pretty stoked with that! ISCorp riders Mia Loquai and Holly Mathews outsprinted the rest of the field for third and fourth with special mention to kiwi Hayley Giddens (ISCorp) for doing some hard yards controlling the field on the front for her teammates the whole race.

Sprinting for the finish. Photo by Louis Breme
Thanks to awesome PSIMET riders Leah Sanda and Cathy Frampton for being cool travel companions and Bike Burlington, Melon City Bike Club, and Quad Cities Bicycle Club, especially Quad Cities race organized Donnie Miller, for putting on an excellent weekend of racing. Put it on your calendar for next year: http://www.memorialdayweekendbikeraces.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment