Tuesday, July 9, 2013

07 July 2013 Downtown Homewood Classic

Downtown Homewood Classic. Photo by Jeff Graveline
 
On a baking hot day of racing in downtown Homewood, I had perhaps a breakthrough day healthwise and am (hopefully) on my way to some good form!

Homewood watertower on a brilliant day.

Still on the back foot and struggling a bit to feel well, I opted out of joining my teammates racing at British Columbia Superweek in Vancouver Canada to remain closer to ‘home’. As hard as the decision was, I’m certain that avoiding the stresses of travel was a good call and my body has benefited.

Vanderkitten teammates winning the yellow jersey at BC Superweek in Vancouver.
 
Remaining near Chicago gave me the opportunity to attend a fabulous race put on by the South Chicago Wheelmen in Homewood IL, south of Chicago. Suggestions that summer has perhaps finally arrived in the Midwest played in the air as steamy temperatures and a stiff breeze ruled the day, adding challenge to the repeated insult to riders’ legs from a short, fast course with a gruelling 180 degree turnaround into the start/finish straight.
 
Close in the final sprint. Photo by Rob Curtis
 
The women’s race was staked with local fire power. Superstar pursuiter Stacy Mosora (Scarlet Fire) made an exciting race with several bids off the front. In the end it came down to drag race sprint down the long finishing straight. My upper-end power remains elusive, but somehow I found just enough to take the win in a super exciting finish against the speedy Kristen Meshberg (Spidermonkey) and an awesome finish from Leah Sanda (PSIMET).
 
Women's podium: Leah Sanda, me, Kristen Meshberg. Photo by Rob Curtis
 
With only one race on for the weekend, I took the opportunity to get in some extra training in the men’s race that followed. I had just enough time following the podium to change my number and grab a new drink bottle and a bag of ice before lining again. I definitely started to feel overheated as the race went on, but my legs still felt great after 75 some jumps out of the 180, and my GI system was only mildly upset after racing. Plus, a bonus of being able to sleep the night through without discomfort! Definitely progress in the right direction. Next up for me, Prairie State Cycling Series in Chicagoland, beginning this Friday.

Fri 12 July             Kenosha WI
Sat 13 July           Chicago IL
Sun 14 July          Crystal Lake IL
Wed 17 July        Sharron WI – RR
Thu 18 July          Beverly IL (NCC)
Fri 19 July             Elmhurst IL (NCC)
Sat 20 July           Lake Bluff IL (NCC)
Sun 21 July          St. Charles IL (NCC)

No comments:

Post a Comment