Sunday, August 3, 2014

18-27 Jul 2014 Prairie State Cycling Series


Photo by Bill Draper

In its second year, the Prairie State Series is the little sister of Tour of America’s Dairyland, featuring eight races over ten days. With all eight races in the Chicago area, this one’s a bit of a hometown series. I had planned to skip the Prairie State Series and instead join my teammates at the concurrent Cascade Cycling Classic, a six-day NRC stage race in Bend, OR. I made the tough call, deciding that the mountainous terrain of the Cascade tour would be a bit too much for my lungs and fitness, both hampered by early season challenges. The silver lining? The thrill of racing in my hometown of Crystal Lake!

Helping out men's race leader Chad Hartley before his race with some tips on how to win - yeah, right! Photo by Snowy Mountain

I started the series filled with the excitement of improving form and clearing lungs. It’s so nice to be able to take a deep breath! Race 1 in Waukegan was a fast, fun, and flowy course and I was pleased to find how much better I felt racing compared to the suffer fest I struggled through at TOAD. Racing solo meant racing conservatively, which I don’t enjoy as much as having teammates, but the strong field made the race exciting and fun. 

Warming up before the race thanks to perfect tent placement by PSIMET. Photo by Rob Curtis

Saturday the series moved to Lake Bluff for the most popular spectator venue, drawing out a massive crowd to watch the excitement. With NCC status, the race also drew big names and larger fields. One down side perhaps of the higher stake of the finish was a less aggressive race. Unlike non-status races, where bigger teams might have any member of the team shooting for the win, the contenders in an NCC are clear, so attacks and breaks that might otherwise be are sparse. I was excited to feel comfortable throughout the race, my improved form definitely obvious in how I rode. A highlight of the race for me was an attack by Chicagoland PSIMET rider Kelli Richter to go for a late prime. So awesome to see! Coming into the finish I fought for perfect position coming out of the final corner in third wheel. The long finishing straight was my undoing and despite knowing full well I would need to be patient, I started my sprint way, way, way too early and ran out of steam before the line.

Navigating the course at Lake Bluff. Photo by Bill Draper

Race 3 in Crystal Lake was truly exhilarating with so many friends out to cheer me on – and one of my favourite courses of the series to boot. Knowing the course suited aggressive riding, I was ready to ride super hard and make some waves. Unfortunately a crash midway through the race brought an end to my enthusiasm. A rider slid out in corner 4, bringing down several surrounding riders. A rider T-boned my rear wheel, taking me straight into the ground. Hard.  Fortunately no major damage, and I was back in the race after some quick adjustments from the SRAM pit. But pain from the crash and trouble with my wheel kept me from fully getting back into race mode.

Picking up the pieces after crashing at Crystal Lake. Photo by Snowy Mountain

Fortunately I had two days to recover before the series resumed on Wednesday with a road race in Willow Springs. My legs felt really great after the rest days. I rode aggressively but nothing stuck. Coming into the finishing hill, I fought hard for great position up the final climb. But once again, I went way too early and ran out of steam. Albert Einstein once defined insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Hmmm.

Ol' Albert warming up for the race.

Thursday brought another one of my favourite courses of the series: Beverly, on the South Side of Chicago. With a long tradition as a race venue and huge community support, Beverly offers up abundant primes—intermediate sprints for prizes or cash—within the race. Falling behind in covering my race expenses with suboptimal finishes thus far, I opted to go on the hunt for primes. Fortunately with good success. It was a weird race in that riders kept slipping away with no response from the field. In fact, all of the remaining races in the series went that way. At Beverly, three riders escaped mid-race. I put in a huge effort to bridge, chasing solo for several laps, but I didn’t make it across.

Concentrating on the road. Photo by Snowy Mountain
Moving to Elmhurst on Friday, my legs felt spent. I put in a huge effort to go off the front to grab the first prime of the day about midrace, but the effort gassed me and sent me through the pack to the back. A lap latter, a rider went down in front of me, leaving me a big chase effort to get back into the field. The race left my lungs burning.

War paint? Serious contenders start early.

Saturday we took to west Chicago to hammer the streets outside the roasting works of race title sponsor Intelligensia Coffee. Men's pro team Athlete Octane Cycling continued their support of women's cycling by offering 'bandit' primes during the women's race, adding extra excitement to the action. The back stretch of the race offered an excellent view of the city skyline. I so wish I had taken a photo to share, because I haven’t found one from someone else yet.

Lining up for the start outside Intelligensia Coffee roasting works. Photo by Rob Curtis

The series finished on the streets of Downers Grove, a historic venue hosting the US National Championships in previous years, but not since 2009. The return of racing to the streets of Downers Grove was embraced by the community with huge enthusiasm. 

Setting the pace at Downers Grove.

I finished the series seventh overall including four top-tens and much improved riding and breathing, finally making clear progress since falling ill in February. Unfortunately I ended on a low note mentally, feeling emotionally drained and extremely downtrodden. Mental struggles are so incredibly frustrating because it’s impossibly difficult to identify what the actual issue is – especially since the culprit generally has several contributors: straws and camels. That sort of thing. No words adequately illuminate the complexities and struggles of the troubled mind. Sometimes the vicissitudes of life hit us like a brick wall. It takes time – and a lot of effort and support – to recover from the impact.

I am grateful to PSIMET man Rob Curtis and Team Mack rider John Fleckenstein for incredible support throughout the series. Without these guys I would not have been able to race. Thank you so much to all those who came out to support and cheer me on. It is so awesome to have so many fans on course! Primary sponsor Doug Zell at Intelligensia Coffee was a huge factor in making this series possible. I am excited to see the series grow in coming years. Extra special thanks to my high school gymnastics coach Bob Connor who surprised me by coming out to cheer me on – a real highlight of my series!

Connecting with long lost friend Bob Connor post race. Photo by Nina Connor

Check back soon. I’m shaking off the doldrums and am in Utah getting ready to race the Tour of Utah – Women’s Edition!

No comments:

Post a Comment