Tuesday, September 30, 2014

20 Sep 2014 Mayor’s Cup


From the rugged Rocky Mountain backdrop of Salt Lake City, my next destination took me 2500 mi (4000 km) directly east. Traveling across the US until land met sea landed me in Bean Town. Famous for beans slow-baked in molasses, which was the traditional Sunday meal for early settlers in the area for nearly 200 years, Boston is similarly famous for hosting numerous events in the American Revolution, including the Boston Tea Party in 1773 and the signing of the US Declaration of Independence in 1776, as well as the TD Bank Mayor’s Cup: this year, the final race of the 2014 USA Cycling National Criterium Calendar (NCC).

Mayor's Cup pace car towing TD Bank Trapezoid Guy. Photo by Katie Busick

The overnight flight left me feeling completely drained. To help get my sleep-deprived brain back on line, Race Director Sara Bresnick took me on a rejuvenating ride to see Lexington Commons, famous for being the site of the “shot heard ‘round the world”: the first shot of the American Revolutionary War in 1775.  Despite being 7-months pregnant, Sara’s pro mountain biker legs still set a perfect pace to combat my travel-weary state.

Fresh off the plane, hanging out with Co-Race Director Winston Porkchop.

The race on Saturday was held on a 0.7 mile (1.1 km) circuit around Government Center, in the heart of historic downtown Boston. City Hall Plaza was jam-packed with thousands of spectators to cheer us on. And the field was jam-packed with talent. Tiffany and I teamed up one last time for our final go of the season. Unfortunately, it didn’t go so well.

Buildings towering above the course, Downtown Boston. Photo by Katie Busick

It wasn’t that bad really. Just not the way we wanted to finish up. No major catastrophes (thankfully!). We simply weren’t on our game. Right from the gun, I felt off. My lungs were burning straightaway (still recovering from the dry air in Vegas, so fragile from illness earlier in the year). Irritation in recent weeks of an injury sustained in March left my left hamstring screaming in unhappy protest.  My legs felt dead and I was back to riding through molasses. The wide-open straight-forward course was definitely not my forte. A torturous hour of my life it was. Tiff, too, had been feeling a bit under the weather all week and didn’t have much in her tank.

Tiffany with Custom House Tower overlooking. Photo by Katie Busick

Despite suboptimal circumstances, we definitely gave it our all. The race was certainly fast-paced and action-packed, with hundreds of dollars in primes on offer every few laps. And Tiffany and I went for just about all of them.

Rounding the corner four. Photo by Katie Busick

One really cool part of the race was that we set up well for primes on several occasions. But without much snap in my legs, I was twice nipped on the line.


No doubt a painful moment, Skylar Schneider (TIBCO) locked on my wheel, bunch chasing. Photo by Katie Busick

We completely botched up several times, setting up way too early. Tiffany finally found success on one of the goes, but it was a bit bittersweet, our finish being less than we had hoped.

Tiffany in the bunch. Photo by Katie Busick

Not having good awareness during the race, my account of how it all unfolded is a bit foggy.  Despite several solo efforts off the front from various riders, including a bold last-lap flier from Holly Matthews (TIBCO), the finish came down to a sprint with Coryn Rivera (UHC) adding another win to her season tally, followed by Sam Schneider (TIBCO) and Tina Pic (Fearless Femme).

Race Podium. Photo by Boston Bikes

Thank you to TD Bank, Boloco, the Mayor’s Office and City of Boston, and Boston Bikes for sponsorship and organization of this incredible event; Katie Busick for fabulous photos; Lauren LeClaire and Steven Hopengarten for host housing, transport, guided tours, and new found friendship; and Sara Bresnick who was absolutely amazing in helping me and Tiffany organize our trip to Boston. Check her out at Pedal Power Training Solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment