Thursday, April 9, 2015

4 April 2015 Lincoln Park Criterium, Chicago IL

Race Podium: me, Daphne Karagianis, Holly Mathews

A weekend home between stints on the road offered up the opportunity to catch-up with some of my favorite Chicagoland cyclists at the  Alderman James Cappleman's Lincoln Park Criterium, Chicaoland’s first race of the season (having only just emerged from the ice-locked depths of winter!). The women’s race in particular was extra special, in remembrance of xXx rider Beth Kobeszka who was killed in 2007.

Celebrating Easter with some racing!


Chicago put on a stunner day with plenty of sunshine. Chilly spring temperatures and a solid, gusty wind brought extra challenge to the 0.8-mile (1.3km) Lake Michigan lakefront course. Repeated accelerations out of the leg-zapping 180-degree turn was all the challenge I needed for one day!


Chicago skyline from Montrose Harbor after the race.
Teammate Holly Mathews made my day, spontaneously deciding to venture down from Madison WI to join me for the race, both of us keen to clear out cob webs and get some racing in our legs before heading to Charlotte NC for NCC Race #2 The Novant Health Criterium this weekend.
All together early in the race. Photo by Warren Cycling
The race did not disappoint, panning out as one of the most exciting races of the day. Excellent teamwork from Chicago Cuttin Crew riders Daphne Karagianis, Janette Rho, and Maria Larkin animated the race early and throughout.

Move off the front by Maria Larkin, Chicago Cuttin Crew. Photo supplied by Fernanda Guzman
Additional strong riding from Ellen Ryan (xXx Racing), Anina Blankenship (Balanced: Bike Fitting), and  Christine Thornburg (PSIMET) keeping me and Holly working hard.

Holly putting in an attack. Photo  supplied by Fernanda Guzman
A well timed attack late in the race saw Daphne escape the bunch. Waiting a bit too long to respond, I launched a chase effort which, despite being extremely painful, was not enough to reel in the on-fire Daphne who took a well-deserved solo win. My pursuit gave me a hard-earned second, with Holly taking the bunch sprint for third.

Holly winning the bunch sprint for third. Photo by Warren Cycling

Chiacagoland racing allows me to stay with my favorite hosts, my parents. Big thanks to them for hosting me! Thanks also to PSIMET Racing -- I was grateful for shelter from the wind and cold in the PSIMET team tent! Rob Curtis (PSIMET) did an excellent job on the mike announcing the races, and neutral support mechanic Matt got my bike sorted out and ready to race. And of course, huge thanks to xXx Racing-Athletico and especially Kevin O’Neill for putting on a great race.

No comments:

Post a Comment