Friday, July 27, 2012

14-15 Jul Kalamazoo Weekend

Hot and dry in the Midwest this summer. This Australian
sculpture by Orest Keywan says it all.
After a week precariously perched on the edge of good health, the sweltering temperatures of the Morton Community Cycling Classic tipped the scales a touch too far in the wrong direction. So, I spent most of the following week doing battle with a bug that thought quite differently than I about how I should be spending my time. Subsequently, I did some hardcore horizontal planks for several consecutive days. And despite taking time off the bike to rest up and recover, I was careful to add some core workouts into my schedule. I can confirm that violent coughing attacks truly are effective ab exercise—although I now admit that perhaps I approached these sessions with a bit too much enthusiasm, coming away with a strained trapezius muscle after one particularly challenging “workout.”  
As the cloud in my head began to clear, the coughing subsided and my overworked abs recovered, Lami and I decided to head east to Southwest Michigan in search on some cooler temps. We spent the weekend racing in Kalamazoo, not far from Lami’s hometown of Holland, MI. En route, we encountered long unseen and much needed rains, promising a reprieve from the heat.
Saturday morning, we ventured out to the Western Michigan University campus for the 7th Annual Miller Energy Criterium put on by the Kalamazoo Bicycle Club. So far, every race I’ve done in Southwest Michigan has had exciting courses, fabulous organization, impressive sponsorship, great prize money and excellent racing. The Miller Energy Crit was no exception. A decent-sized women’s field with several teams present ensured an exciting race. I took the opportunity to test my health, and my fitness, by doing some prime hunting, and making good progress clearing out my congested sinuses in the process. I was very happy to find my energy levels returning and finished pleased with the race having collected several primes and a second place finish, and, more importantly, feeling heaps better and on my way back to healthy.


Road race podium
Sunday we tackled the 2nd Annual Maple Hill Race for Wishes road race in Lawton, MI, just west of K-zoo. The race was held on a 13-mile circuit with lovely quiet roads and a sprinkling of rolling hills. The women’s race took in 4 laps of the circuit and offered a perfect opportunity to further clear out my system and get in a good hard road ride. One exciting aspect of the race was the charity it supports. The Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. As part of the award for winning the race I received a wonderful plaque featuring a drawing done by one of the Make-A-Wish children. Any Midwest riders looking for an excellent road race to add into their plans for next summer, this is definitely a great one to put on your race calendar. Big thanks to K-zoo Bicycle Club and Midwest Charity Racing for an excellent weekend.

Race for Wishes winner's plaque:
'My wish came true, I hope yours does too.'

No comments:

Post a Comment