Saturday, July 14, 2012

7 Jul Morton Criterium


Two races and two wins—that was the tally for me on Saturday at the Morton Community Bank Cycling Classic in Morton Illinois. The race is big event for Lami’s team, Mack Racing. Clearly the excellent Team Mack dinner on Friday night, put on by Steve and Gina Driscoll, was perfect race preparation.
The day started miserably hot and never varied all day. Mid-morning, temps were already approaching 105 (40 C). Attracted by the opportunity to race with my favorite Macker John Fleckenstein, I decided to double up and do two races back-to-back. I started with the Masters 50+ (women are allowed to race in categories up to 20 years older), lining up alongside Mack riders John, Frank Brummer and head Macker Gary Doering. Did I mention that it was hot?
Approaching the finish line with lots of breathing room.
My plan was to have a conservative race, sit in and get my legs going before the women’s race, immediately to follow. The race started amiably with the guys setting a comfortable clip around the oblong 4-corner course. Soon Scarlet Fire rider Mark Sills put in an attack that saw no response from the field. He disappeared out of site over several laps, but it was far too hot to survive solo for the remaining 30 min of the race—without considerable suffering that is. Mack riders kept the break in check, and before long he was absorbed back into the field. As the pace slowed and the field accordianed upon itself, I braced for the counter attack. When no one went, I couldn’t restrain myself and exploded out of the bunch. A good 10-20 seconds later I came to my senses and slowed my pace to await the peloton. As I was gathered up by the group, Gary came alongside me and said, ‘prime lap.’ I took off again, this time with a bit more conviction, determined to grab the prime. Mission accomplished, I once again settled back into the group. As we entered into the last few laps of the race, John came to the front to drive the pace. I knew that John wasn’t feeling well so, to take some pressure off, I attacked with 2 to go to force someone else to do the work on the front. When I still had a good gap with 1 to go, I dug deep, knowing that I would need to put in a big effort to stay away. Gary Dyer (Michelob Ultra – Big Shark Racing) led the charge behind me for second with Macker Gary third.

Early in the women's race with a very large ice sock
on my back.
Having put in WAY more effort than I had anticipated, I finished the race a bit on the warm side. I had about 10 min to change my number, grab some new water bottles and stuff my pockets full of ice in attempt to cool off for the next race, the Women’s Open. Most of the race I really just tried to cool down and recollect myself. Did I mention it was hot? Absolutely ridiculously hot. I attempted a couple of attacks, but found that I had used up my legs for the day so was resigned to just sit in for the sprint. Somehow I took the win, but I have to give credit to my PSIMET wheels since my legs didn’t seem to have anything left to contribute.

Thanks to Proctor Cycling Club for all their awesome efforts to put on an excellent and well run race and the many wonderful officials and volunteers who endured the miserable heat to make the event possible. Thanks also to Steve Driscoll for his gargantuan efforts to make the race possible, and to Steve and his wife Gina for a fabulous pre-race dinner. Paul Schilling, Jane Ore and Brian Grant all did a great job helping me between races. And of course, huge thanks to my sponsors Rob Curtis at PSIMET Wheels and Wayne Simon at ENZO’s Buttonhole. Chicagoland is fortunate to be home to these two outstanding entrepreneurs making waves in the cycling world.

No comments:

Post a Comment