Monday, August 19, 2013

17 Aug 2013 Edwardsville Rotary Criterium

 
Celebration! Photo by Team Mack

Saturday morning I headed off on the 5-hour drive down to Edwardsville IL, about 25 mi (40 km) northwest of St. Louis, for the Stifel Nicolaus Edwardsville Rotary Criterium with one goal in mind: to win. A twilight start meant that I could drive down on Saturday and still arrive in plenty of time for my race at 7 PM. Set in the historic downtown center with huge community involvement and live music all evening, the venue, now in its fourth year, was absolutely packed with fans creating an awesome high-energy atmosphere perfect for racing.
Start-finish arch as darkness approaches before the start of one of the men's races.

Heading to Edwardsville was a difficult decision for me because the race coincided with the Delta Subaru Gaslight Criterium in Grand Rapids MI, an event that I thoroughly enjoyed racing two years ago and has the added attraction of being nearby Holland MI where I attended college. In the end, a bigger payout at Edwardsville drew me south. 
Great course at Edwardsville.
 
The attractive prize purse brought out excellent fields for races all afternoon. A fast-paced course with seven turns was my type of crit, but with the presence of super speedy sprinter Carrie Cash (Pepper Palace), I knew that the win was going to require a big effort, and that effort was going to require avoiding a field sprint.

Rounding Turn 1 during the race. Photo by Kelly Croy Patty


Cool shot by Jaime Guzman

A strong move by Rachel Byus (FCS) and Emilie Fanigan (Dog Fish) a bit before mid race threatened my plans, but eventually they were brought back and, with about 20 min to go in the 60-min race, I got my opportunity. After getting a good jump on the field for a prime, I continued driving hard and extended the gap. I hovered at about 10 s for a long time. The technical course made 10 s a good gap, but with several strong legs in the field, not good enough to relax. I drove on, digging deeper despite my screaming legs, rebelling stomach, and cramping diaphragm. Finally, with one lap to go, I had a comfortable lead and was able let up on me effort and enjoy the finish, savoring the win as I celebrated—along with the throngs of supporters, including plenty of Vanderkitten fans—all the way along the finish straight.

Top step with Britta Siegel and Carrie Cash. Photo by Jaime Guzman
With such a great effort from Dogfish Racing and the Edwardsville Rotary Club and excellent sponsorship from Stifel Nicolaus Financial group, this race will be back next year so Midwest racers put it on your calendar! Thank you to Team Mack head honcho Gary Doering for incredible support and excellent company for the weekend.
Getting out my claws. Photo by Team  Mack
 

2 comments:

  1. Jeannie,

    Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure to host you, and a pleasure to watch you race in our Criterium. See you next year !!!!!

    John Gibbons,
    Vice Pres.,
    Edwardsville Rotary Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie,
    Congrats on your great performance. I am in the Rotary and volunteered at the Criterium.
    You guys are the best and from where I stood, I enjoyed the races and everybody that came enjoyed themselves as well.
    Hope to see you next year.
    Musonda Kapatamoyo
    Edwardsville Rotary Club, member

    ReplyDelete