Sunday, August 4, 2013

27-28 July 2013 Winfield Weekend


 
I finished off July with a fun two days of racing at the Winfield Weekend, hosted by ABD Cycling Club. While confused weather brought autumn-like temps, I got in a great weekend with great friends, and picked up a National title to boot.

Showing off my Vittoria Hora Evo shoes. Photo by Fernanda Guzman
My recovery time continues to improve as my week post-Prairie State Series brought only a bit of diaphragm rebellion, but much less than in previous weeks. The last time I raced at Winfield two years ago, large chunks of welt-producing ice fell from the sky, driving everyone to shelter just before my race. This time, the hail stayed away but a cold front brought temperatures reminiscent of October rather than July and I stood on the start line shivering as we awaited the late afternoon start. Apparently my body wasn’t quite ready to do anything strenuous. My diaphragm cramped up almost immediately and I felt pretty uncomfortable throughout the race. I hung in there, though, spending much of the later parts of the race trying to hide in attempt to avoid much further exertion. Cady Chintis (Les Petites Victoires) rode a great race to take the win on the line in a photo finish, me second and Jannette Rho, also LPV, third.

Community support for the races was fabulous. The boy with the vuvuzela ran out to the curb to cherr us on every lap!
Sunday I felt much better and had a great time racing on a super fun course, this time able to grab the win. Good thing too, because the race was the American Bicycle Racing National Criterium Championship, giving me a National Championship title! A very busy week of multiple deadlines has put me a bit behind on updates. I’m finishing up my season with the Tour of Elk Grove at the moment. Stayed tuned for another blog soon.

One highlight of the weekend was racing with wonderful friend John Fleckenstein from Team Mack. Photo by Fernanda Guzman
Thanks to Mary Lee and the ABD Cycling Club for putting on a fabulous weekend of racing, to Mark McGeen, Gary Doering, and John Fleckenstein from Team Mack for the excellent company, and Paul Schilling for race support. Thanks so much to everyone who was there supporting me all over the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment